This browned butter sour cream crumb cake is moist, flavorful, and delicious! This easy recipe is perfect for breakfast, dinner, or a snack.
It's a great one to make ahead of serving. Your whole family will love this recipe!
I've been in fall recipe testing mode, and I have been wanting to add more dessert recipes to the blog. I had lots of sour cream in the fridge, so I wanted to make a sour cream cake that was moist and perfect for fall.
This cozy cake is just that. With nutty browned butter, a cinnamon crumb topping, and moist texture, this cake is delicious year round!
This one is easily served for breakfast or dessert. Or serve it as a snack with your afternoon coffee!
I love topping this one with powdered sugar and cinnamon. It gives the cake a beautiful presentation and touch of sweetness!
Browned Butter Sour Cream Crumb Cake Recipe Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need for this recipe:
- Butter - Unsalted
- Brown Sugar
- Cinnamon - For the topping and additional for topping the finished cake
- Sour Cream
- Vanila Extract
- Baking Powder
- Powdered Sugar - Optional, for topping the finished cake.
First, you'll combine your crumb toppings - butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a food processor or bowl until crumbs are formed. Transfer to a plate and let refrigerate until firm for about 10 minutes.
Next, melt a stick of butter over medium-low heat and cook until the butter is brown, about 5 minutes. Pour the butter into a freezer-safe bowl and freeze until the butter is from but not frozen. This process should take about 10 minutes.
Mix together firm browned butter, sugar, and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Fold in the sour cream and vanilla. Then, add in flour, baking powder, and salt and mix everything together.
Scrape the cake batter into a cake pan and top with the chilled topping. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees F or until the middle of the cake is cooked through.
Top with powdered sugar and cinnamon before serving.
Here is some kitchen equipment that will be helpful for this recipe. You can buy all of these products on Amazon!
- Cake Pan: We recommend using a cake pan like this one for this recipe.
- Large Mixing Bowl: Every home cook needs a good set of mixing bowls! Check out these ones that are very versatile.
- Stand Mixer: If you love baking, investing in a stand mixer will be a game changer for you! I have the classic KitchenAid stand mixer and I love it.
Here are a few ways you can change up this recipe:
- Change up the topping: You can always change up the topping by adding nuts or flour to the topping of the cake. This will add to the flavor and texture of the cake!
- Make into cupcakes: You can make this cake into cupcakes if you wish - yum! Check out King Arthur's guide on how to do this.
- Gluten Free: Just use Gluten Free flour!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between a crumb cake and a coffee cake?
A crumb cake has a crumb top of the cake compared to a coffee cake. Both are moist, dense cakes that are great for breakfast or dessert.
Sour cream adds moistness to a cake. Adding sour cream to a crumb cake ensures it will be fully moist and delicious.
Browned butter adds a nutty flavor to the cake, giving it a richer and more delicious flavor.
Other Delicious Recipes
Check out some of our other delicious baking recipes:
- Gooey Bourbon Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies: Need I say more? These delicious cookies will absolutely be a hit!
- Easy Cheesecake with Fresh Figs: One of my favorite cheesecake recipes with one of my favorite fruits! This beautiful cheesecake is an absolute stunner. It's delicious too!
- Pumpkin Spiced Apple Galette: A perfect fall dessert! Made with pre-made puff pastry, this recipe is so easy, but tastes like it took you all day to make.
Brown Butter Sour Cream Crumb Cake
For the Topping:
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
For the Cake:
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Sprinkle Powdered Sugar for topping
- Sprinkle Cinnamon for topping
- Combine topping ingredients in a food processor or mix well until small crumbs are formed. Transfer to a plate and refrigerate until firm, about 10 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat and cook until the butter is brown, about 5 minutes, then pour into a bowl and freeze until firm but not completely frozen, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together firm browned butter, sugar, and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Fold in sour cream and vanilla and mix well. Add in flour, baking powder, and salt, and mix until everything is combined.
- Scrape cake batter into a cake pan and top with chilled topping. Bake for 45 minutes or until the middle is cooked through.
- Top with powdered sugar and cinnamon before serving.
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a comment and star rating!