This easy roasted mushroom and goat cheese tart is a perfect savory holiday appetizer.
I’ll admit it – I’m on the early holiday train this year. With everything 2020 has thrown at us, I am ready for all of the holiday apps!
I’ve been testing out holiday apps while having a few close family members over, and you guys, this recipe is a winner.
I absolutely love mushrooms. I realized I don’t have many mushroom recipes on my site, so I wanted to make something easy and delicious with mushrooms for a holiday dish.
So, naturally, I checked my fridge to see what I could make.
I had goat cheese, herbs, and puff pastry on hand, and I immediately dreamt of this tart. P.S. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again – always keep puff pastry on hand in your freezer! It can come in handy in soooo many ways.
The creamy goat cheese, flaky puff pastry, and savory mushrooms were just calling my name.
And wow, this recipe is GOOD.
If you’re a savory person like me, you will love this dish. And the best part? You probably have a lot of these ingredients on hand.
About the Recipe
You’ll start off by sautéing white onion until translucent. Then, add the mushrooms, garlic, salt, pepper, and butter. Yum!
The butter melts and creates a really nice crust on the mushrooms. You’ll definitely want them to be nicely browned, so don’t be afraid if they get some color.
From there, all you’ve got to do is roll out some thawed puff pastry, line it with goat cheese, and top it with your mushroom mixture. It’s that easy!
One thing to note – oven times vary, so keep an eye on this. You want the puff pastry to be golden brown, so make sure it doesn’t burn!
More Holiday Ideas
I love the idea of serving this on a three tiered platter with other delish holiday appetizers. Check out this 3 tiered platter on Amazon – it is perfect for the holidays!!
Here are some other holiday ideas to serve this with:
- Sausage and Cream Cheese Crescent Wreath – I just love this recipe. It’s so easy and is incredibly delish. This one is a winner with kids too!
- Roasted Tomatoes and Burrata – Roasted tomatoes, fresh basil, whole burrata, crusty bread. Need I say more?
- White Cheddar and Apple Tart – Another tart recipe that’s perfect for the holidays. Melty white cheddar, apples, and honey are delicious together in this easy 5 ingredient recipe.
And if you’re looking for more holiday recipe ideas, check out my new e-book, Taste of the Holidays! It’s filled with holiday deliciousness your family will love. Grab your copy here.
Easy Roasted Mushroom and Goat Cheese Tart Recipe
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 lb sliced mushrooms
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 1 sheet thawed puff pastry
- Fresh thyme, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- In a large skillet, heat canola oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, mushrooms, salt, and pepper, and butter and cook on medium low heat for 8 minutes, until the mushrooms are cooked and browned.
- Roll the thawed puff pastry on a lined baking sheet. Spread goat cheese around puff pastry, leaving a 1in boarder on all sides.
- Top pastry with mushrooms and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the puff pastry is browned.
- Garnish with fresh thyme sprigs.