This Easy Greek Chicken Salad with Crispy Chickpeas Recipe is a weeknight dinner winner!
This salad is packed with vegetables, marinated chicken, feta, and topped with a homemade Greek dressing your family will love. Don’t forget the flavorful, crispy chickpeas that add a great crunch!
This is an easy Mediterranean weeknight salad recipe or a great option for meal prep.
About the Recipe: Easy Greek Chicken Salad with Crispy Chickpeas Recipe
My husband loves greek salads at restaurants, and challenged me to recreate a delicious version we could eat at home.
The end result was a flavor packed salad that we now eat on the regular!
The ingredient that differentiates this salad from other Greek Salads is the crispy chickpeas.
The Key to Crispy Chickpeas
Chickpeas are a great food. They are packed with nutrients and they take on almost any flavor you season them with!
I absolutely love my chickpeas roasted in the oven. They’re crispy, delicious, and I can’t stop eating them.
You can soak chickpeas and then cook them, but I prefer just using drained, canned chickpeas.
The trick to having crispy chickpeas is cooking them with olive oil and seasonings on a sheet pan, but to not overcrowd the pan too much.
If you overcrowd the pan, they chickpeas will not have enough room to crisp, so keep this in mind as you make this recipe.
When you take them out of the oven, they should have a nice crunch. If they’re not at your desired crisp level, roast them for 5 minutes at a time until you’re satisfied.
While your chickpeas are roasting, you’ll combine the chicken ingredients and let marinate for at least 10 minutes, but if you’d like, you can marinate for up to 24 hours before cooking!
Cook the chicken and set aside. Then, all you need to do is wait for the chickpeas to finish, plate, make the dressing, and serve! It’s as simple as that.
Frequently Asked Questions
Greek salads are a great source of vegetables, protein, and healthy fats from the olive oil based dressing.
Greek and Italian salad dressings are very similar. Often, the only difference between the two dressings is the herbs that are used in the dressing. Italian salad dressing will frequently use an Italian seasoning blend, while Greek salads may only use oregano or mint in the salad dressing.
Chickpeas are a great source of vitamins, minerals, fiber and protein! They are a great part of a balanced diet.
Tips and Tricks – Easy Greek Chicken Salad with Crispy Chickpeas Recipe
Here are some tips for this Mediterranean salad recipe:
- Rinse the chickpeas really well! Then, dry before adding to a sheet pan. This will help them crisp up in the oven!
- If you are meal prepping this recipe, make a lot of chicken at one time, and then eat throughout the week. I also recommend making a large container of the dressing to use throughout the week.
- If you can find it, use a Greek olive oil for the dressing. It will pull out the flavors of the other ingredients in the salad!
Kitchen supplies for this recipe
I recommend a few key kitchen supplies for this recipe. You will need:
Sheet Pan: A good sheet pan is essential for any home cook! You will want a sheet pan that doesn’t warp and cook your food unevenly. Check out this one on Amazon.
Lemon Juicer: If you like squeezing your own lemon juice, a juicer will help reduce mess and maximize the amount of juice you get from your lemons! I have this one from Amazon – it’s a great affordable option that I use multiple times a week!
Sauté Pan: Every home cook needs a good sauté pan. A good quality pan can level up your cooking! Check out this great option on Amazon.
More Salad Ideas
Looking for even more salad recipes? Check out these easy salad recipes that are perfect for the whole family.
Zucchini and Ricotta Salad – This recipe will make you re-think your definition of ‘salad’! With raw, large zucchini ribbons, fresh ricotta, olive oil, and walnuts, this delicious and unique salad is a great way to change up your salad rotation.
Crispy Chickpea Salad – This simple crispy chickpea salad is full of flavor. With lots of veggies and an easy homemade dressing made of olive oil, lemon juice, and Italian seasoning, this is a great meal prep or side dish option.
Simple Pasta Salad – Pasta salad counts as salad, right?! Well, it does here. This 15 minute super easy pasta salad recipe is one of my favorite meals for a gathering. It’s a family favorite and makes a lot of food in a short period of time.
Easy Greek Chicken Salad with Crispy Chickpeas Ingredients
For the Chickpeas:
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
For the Chicken:
- 1 large chicken breast, halves and sliced in strips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp mint
For the Salad:
- 1/4 red onion, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4 cups mixed greens
- Fresh microgreens, for topping
For the Dressing:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp mint
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- On a large baking tray, combine drained chickpeas, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake for 25 minutes or until they reached desired crisp level.
- Next, combine chicken ingredients. Let marinate for 10 minutes. Then, heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Cook chicken 4 minutes per side, then remove from pan and set aside.
- Plate salad by distributing greens across two plates. Add onion, olives, and feta. Then, top with chicken and chickpeas.
- Combine salad dressing ingredients together. Whisk well, then pour over salads and serve.