This spicy watermelon margarita recipe is the perfect combination of sweet and spice.
With fresh watermelon juice, muddled jalapeños, and smooth tequila, this recipe is perfect for the summer but tastes delicious year round.
I've been making watermelon juice every week this summer and it's been such a refreshing treat. And did I mention how EASY it is?! Seriously, it's so easy.
I love it so much that I wrote a whole blog post about it here. It'll tell you all about how to make your own fresh watermelon juice right at home.
Since I loved the juice so much, I knew I needed to create a delicious cocktail to highlight it. And right when I was thinking about this, the jalapeños in my garden started to grow like crazy.
It was perfect timing - watermelon and jalapeños are married together in a delicious spicy watermelon margarita that you'll want to drink all year long.
You will need the following ingredients for this recipe:
- Tequila - I used blanco tequila, but you can use any type of tequila that you enjoy in this recipe.
- Orange Simple Syrup - You can buy orange simple syrup or make your own!
- Lime Juice - Fresh or squeezed, whichever you have on hand.
- Watermelon Juice - My favorite part of the recipe! Check out my post on how to make your own watermelon juice here.
- Jalapeño - You will need a full jalapeño, including seeds. This is going to be spicy! Make sure you save a few jalapeño slices for a garnish, if you wish.
- Garnish - You can garnish this drink with additional jalapeños, watermelon slices, or fresh herbs, such as mint.
Combine jalapeño slices, tequila, simple syrup, sime juice, and watermelon in a shaker. Muddle until jalapeño starts to break down. Add ice to shaker and shake well.
Strain into your favorite glass, garnish, and enjoy.
There are a few things you may need to make this recipe:
Cocktail Shaker: If you're looking at this recipe, you probably like to make cocktails. And if you don't own a cocktail shaker, you can't make cocktails! So you should definitely own one. Check out this one as a great starter shaker, it's available on Amazon.
Juicer: A good lime juicer is a must for any home mixologist. Check out this one on Amazon - it's a great price and great quality.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you're not a fan of tequila, try using Vodka or Gin. It won't taste the same as a margarita, but it will still be equally refreshing.
There are many ways to make a margarita spicy. This recipe used muddled jalapeños, but you can also use other spicy peppers or ground cayenne pepper to spice things up. If you want a smoky margarita instead of spicy, you can use Mezcal instead of tequila for a smoky-tasting drink.
Yes, you can absolutely use bottled lime juice for margaritas. It tastes almost just as good as freshly squeezed.
Spicy Watermelon Mocktail - To make this a cocktail, simply omit the tequila! It's just as refreshing without any of the alcohol.
Frozen Spicy Watermelon Margarita - You can definitely make this recipe frozen! Just blend in a blender with 1 cup of ice and enjoy your frozen drink!
Other Fruit Flavors - This recipe can definitely be adapted to other fruits. Think peaches, pears, or anything you can make or find juice for.
Spicy Watermelon Margarita Recipe
- 2 oz tequila
- 1 oz orange simple syrup
- 1 oz lime juice
- 1 oz watermon juice
- 1 jalapeño including seeds
- Jalapeño slices, watermelon slices, or mint for garnish
- Combine tequila, orange simple syrup, lime juice, watermelon juice, and jalapeño in a cocktail shaker. Muddle until jalepeno starts to break down.
- Add ice to shaker and shake well.
- Strain through a cocktail strainer into a glass. Serve with a garnish of mint, watermelon slice, or jalapeño slices.
- You may use any kind of tequila for this recipe
- To make this a smoky and spicy margarita, you can use mezcal for a delicious twist
- Garnish with a mint sprig, watermelon slice, or additional jalapeño slices
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave it a star rating and comment!