This super simple garlic mashed cauliflower recipe is the perfect easy and healthy side dish that goes with just about anything!
I’ve been on a massive cauliflower kick lately. Really, I’ve been eating cauliflower in almost every meal. Tacos, cauliflower steaks, roasted cauliflower in salads – you get it.
But I realized one of my favorite ways to eat cauliflower is mashed – and I didn’t have a recipe for mashed cauliflower on my blog!
So this recipe changes that! It’s got garlic and the perfect amount of butter and olive oil to give you that creamy texture.
About the Recipe
This recipe starts off with cooked cauliflower. You’ve got two options on how to cook the cauliflower:
- Blanching – This is super easy. You’ll cut cauliflower into florets, and then cook them in salted, rapidly boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Use Frozen Riced Cauliflower – This is my shortcut for this recipe. I always have riced cauliflower on hand in the freezer, and I can pop it in the microwave while I prep the rest of dinner. It’s SO easy!
After you get your cauliflower cooked, you’ll throw it in a food processor. I’ve talked about this before, but if you don’t have a food processor, I highly recommend you get one!
I use this one and I love it! You can get it on Amazon.
So now that your cauliflower is in the food processor, you’ll add the olive oil, butter, garlic, salt, and pepper, and process on high for a few minutes.
Next, add whole milk 1 tbsp at a time while pulsing until you reach your desired consistency.
I love topping garlic mashed cauliflower with chives or micro greens for extra flavor!
What should I eat with garlic mashed cauliflower?
There are endless possibilities for what to eat with garlic mashed cauliflower!
As pictured in this post, this recipe pairs really well with a simple sautéed shrimp. Just cook the shrimp with a little butter, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. It’s a perfect pairing to the mashed cauliflower! Since shrimp cook so quickly, this would be a great option for a weeknight dinner.
Another pairing option would be roast chicken. Crispy roasted chicken would be a delicious main to this side dish.
Finally, slow roasted short ribs and carrots would also be excellent with this garlic mashed cauliflower recipe. This would be a great pairing for date night especially!
More Delicious Cauliflower Recipes
Check out these other delicious cauliflower recipes for more veggie goodness!
Vegan Cauliflower Tacos – Who knew roasted cauliflower would be SO delicious in tacos? I make these almost once a week – they are so good. The cauliflower is packed with flavor, and the salsa is just soooo good. Give this one a try!
Cauliflower Steaks – I love the presentation of a nice charred cauliflower steak. This recipe has loads of flavor and looks just so beautiful at the center of your plate! Oh, and did I mention it’s vegan? It’s great with rice and fresh veggies and your favorite sauce.
Curried Cauliflower Bowls – If you’re a big fan of bowls, you’re going to love these curried cauliflower bowls. With a base of quinoa, this bowl has kale, delicious curry spiced cauliflower, and a sweet and spicy sauce that makes this healthy meal deliciously interesting!
Super Simple Garlic Mashed Cauliflower Ingredients
- 24 oz cooked cauliflower (If blanching, about 2 small heads cauliflower. If using cauliflower rice, about two packages cauliflower rice)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp whole milk
- Chives or micro greens, for serving
- Add cooked cauliflower to a food processor.
- Add olive oil, butter, salt, pepper, and garlic to the food processor. Process on high until cauliflower is mashed and all ingredients are well combined.
- Add whole milk, 1 tbsp at a time, until mashed cauliflower reaches desired consistency.
- Top with chives or micro greens.