Vegan Tofu Tacos with Cilantro Lime Salsa is the easy and healthy weeknight vegan dinner you’ve been looking for.
These vegan tofu tacos are great to serve on a busy weeknight or even for a small gathering.
I love serving with the tofu on the pan, salsa and toppings on the side, and letting everyone assemble their own tacos!
About Vegan Tofu Tacos with Cilantro Lime Salsa
What is the ‘meat’ in a vegan taco?
The protein base of this taco is tofu. Other vegan tacos can contain plant based meat like pea protein meat, nuts like walnuts, or even roasted vegetables.
Are tortillas vegan?
Most corn and flour tortillas are vegan. Make sure you look at the ingredients on the package to confirm.
Can you crumble tofu like ground beef?
You can definitely crumble tofu like ground beef. However, this recipe calls for tofu to be cut small and crisped so it creates a nice crunchy bite in the taco.
What does tofu taste like?
On it’s own, tofu is pretty bland. But because of that, it’s a great absorber of flavor. It takes on whatever flavor you season it with, which makes it a great base in a taco!
About the Recipe
This Vegan Tofu Tacos with Cilantro Lime Salsa Recipe is so easy! If you’re new to making tofu, this is a great starter recipe for you.
First, you’ll press your tofu. Remove from packaging and drain, then wrap in a towel and place on a sheet pan. Place another sheet pan on top and cover with a heavy object like a cast iron pan or a cookbook. Press tofu for at least an hour. This helps release water and makes tofu crispier.
P.S. If you don’t have good quality sheet pans, this is a reminder that you deserve an upgrade! Check out these on Amazon if you need an upgrade.
Once your tofu is pressed, you’ll cut it in small pieces, and toss it with olive oil, corn starch, and seasonings. The olive oil and corn starch help get the tofu nice and crispy.
Then, you’ll put the tofu on a lined baking sheet, and bake for 35 minutes or until they reach your desired crisp level.
While they bake, you’ll made the cilantro lime salsa. It’s a delicious salsa full of bright fresh flavors. It’s a perfect pairing to this taco!
More Vegan Dinner Ideas
Here are some more easy vegan dinner ideas!
Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Sauce: This super easy recipe makes the most amazing and crazy vegan roasted red pepper sauce! Serve on roasted veggies, pasta, or sandwiches to kick up the flavor of any dish.
Crispy Tofu with Spicy Cilantro Oil: I love this recipe. It’s a staple in my house that I make almost every week! Super crispy tofu is topped with a flavor packed spicy cilantro oil that you’ll want to make again and again.
Vegan Curried Cauliflower Bowls: If you love cauliflower as much as I do, this is the recipe for you. These delicious bowls make the best healthy lunch! I love meal prepping all of the ingredients and then eating it throughout the week.
Vegan Tofu Tacos with Cilantro Lime Salsa Recipe
- Block of extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- Corn tortillas, for serving
- Chopped cilantro, for serving
- 1 small bunch chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of one lime
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1 small white onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Remove tofu from packaging. Wrap in a towel and leave on a sheet pan. Cover with another sheet pan. Place a heavy object, like a cookbook, on top of the sheet pan and press for at least on hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Cut tofu in small pieces, about 1 in each.
- Combine tofu, olive oil, cornstarch, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika in a large bowl. Mix until tofu is well coated.
- Line tofu on a lined baking sheet, spacing apart evenly so they don’t get crowded.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
- While tofu bakes, combine salsa ingredients and set aside.
- After tofu is done, char tortillas on an open flame for 20 seconds a side.
- Fill tortillas with tofu, salsa, and top with cilantro. Enjoy!