This whipped goat cheese and tomato tart is my new favorite entertaining appetizer!
This delicious recipe is packed with flavor and looks gourmet - but is so easy to make! I love serving this as an appetizer when friends and family come over. Everyone devours it in just a few minutes, so you might just want to make a double batch!
Summer of 2021 is in full swing, and that means that it's officially tomato season. I have 5 tomato plants growing fast outside, and pretty soon, I'll need to find creative ways to use all of my garden tomatoes.
This recipe is filled with many of my favorite things - fresh tomatoes, whipped goat cheese, garden basil, and my favorite kitchen time saver - store bought puff pastry.
I love store bought puff pastry for so many reasons:
- It saves so much time! Making puff pastry from scratch is fun, but it is extremely fickle and time consuming. When you're entertaining, you want to make sure you're not in the kitchen all day for only one dish.
- It guarantees great results. By just buying the package from the store, you know it's been tested over and over, so you can feel confident about your dish.
- Nobody will know! I guarantee you that your guests will shame you for buying a store bought item. You're saving time and everyone loves to do that!
So now that you've been convinced to buy homemade puff pastry, two of my favorite brands are Wewelka and Pepperidge Farms.
About the Recipe: Whipped Goat Cheese and Tomato Tart
Let's walk through this delicious whipped goat cheese and tomato tart recipe:
Step 1: Make the Whipped Goat Cheese
Combine whipped goat cheese ingredients and pulse in a blender or food processor. If you don't have a food processor, I highly recommend buying one!
I have this one from Amazon and I use it all the time in my kitchen. It's great for sauces, chopping vegetables, or even for making dough!
Step 2: Sweat the Tomatoes
Next, combine the tomatoes, garlic, and salt in a bowl. Let the tomatoes stand for at least 5 minutes, then drain excess liquid and pat tomatoes dry. This will help the tomatoes "sweat" out liquid, and will prevent your tart from becoming soggy while in the oven.
Don't skip this step - it's important!
Step 3: Prepare Puff Pastry
Unwrap your thawed puff pastry on a baking sheet and press into a rectangle on a greased baking sheet. Spread the goat cheese on the puff pastry, leaving about a 1 inch border.
Arrange tomatoes and garlic over the cheese evenly, then fold the edges of the dough around the tomatoes.
Brush puff pastry with a beaten egg.
Step 4: Bake and Serve
Bake tart until golden brown, about 35-40 minutes in the oven. Top with fresh basil and enjoy!
This is a great appetizer entertaining recipe! If you make this the start of your meal, here are some great things to pair with it for main dishes:
- Homemade Gnocchi: Turn on some Dean Martin, because if you're going to pair this with homemade gnocchi, you need an afternoon filled with Italian music and a little bit of dancing. This tart would be a great starter before some homemade gnocchi for a true Italian meal.
- Italian Marinated Skirt Steak: If you're serving big meat eaters, make this easy Italian marinated skirt steak! I love this steak because it's so approachable. Plus, the marinade is big on flavor!
- Tomato and Burrata Linguine: If you want a tomato and cheese filled evening, keep it up with a tomato and Burrata Linguine! This super simple pasta recipe looks and tastes incredible. Your guests will love it!
More Entertaining Recipe Ideas
Check out these delicious recipes for even more entertaining ideas:
Easy Weeknight Shrimp Diavolo: I just love this recipe. It looks like a restaurant meal, but only takes 15 minutes to make! This is a great recipe to have in your back pocket for unexpected visitors or when you need a last minute addition to your meal. Add pasta to this recipe for a fuller meal, or serve in small bowls with toasted bread for entertaining.
Lemon, Asparagus, and Goat Cheese Tart: If you love this tart, try a lemon and asparagus tart! This recipe is so delish. The asparagus and lemon pair beautifully with goat cheese, and to nobody's surprise, this recipe also utilizes store bought puff pastry.
Roasted Tomatoes and Burrata: I think that anyone who eats cheese loves burrata. That creamy texture is just to die for, and it's perfect with roasted tomatoes and toasted bread! This is the ultimate easy entertaining appetizer - your guests will love this recipe!
Whipped Goat Cheese and Tomato Tart
- 8 oz goat cheese
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- For the Tart:
- 1 ½ lb tomatoes sliced ¼ in thick
- 3 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 sheet puff pastry thawed
- 1 egg beaten
- Fresh basil for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine goat cheese, extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes in a food processor. Pulse until goat cheese is whipped and creamy.
- Combine tomatoes, garlic, and salt in a bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes. Drain excess liquid and pat tomatoes dry with paper towels.
- Unwrap puff pastry on a greased baking sheet. Gently press puff pasty into a rectangle with your fingers. Spread whipped goat cheese onto the puff pastry, leaving at least a 1 inch border. Place tomato and garlic over the cheese evenly. Fold the edges of the dough around the tomatoes to create a border, then brush dough which beaten egg.
- Bake tart until golden brown, about 35-40 minutes.
- Top tart with fresh basil and serve.
- Make sure your puff pastry is fully thawed before starting this recipe.
- Any large tomato works great in this recipe.